Contest Rules - 2CMAX Climate Rap Contest
2° MAX is an original contest created and designed by EcoNova to elevate youth awareness on the climate system and its disruptions and empower participants to take action and become an active part of the climate crisis solution.
The participants will be able to attend a series of online workshops over the summer holiday. They will then write, perform, film, and edit a video of rap on the topic of climate. The video will be their contest entry. A jury of experts will review the submissions and determine the winner(s) for each category.
- Le concours est ouvert aux élèves canadien.ne.s de la 7e à la 12e année (ou de 12 à 19 ans) en 2021/2022.
- The contest is open to individuals and groups of a maximum of 4 participants.
- An individual or a group may only submit and participate in one video (either as an individual or as part of a group).
- Si le/la participant.e est âgé.e de moins de 18 ans, la vidéo doit être soumise par un parent ou un tuteur légal, ou par le/la participant.e avec une autorisation écrite et signée du parent ou du tuteur légal (à nous remettre).
- Video submissions can be in either English, French, or both.
- The use of other languages such as First Nations traditional language or foreign language is accepted to a maximum of 10% of the word count as per the transcript and under condition a translation is submitted in the transcript.
- All submissions must be uploaded to the submission form betweenSeptember octobre 2021 et le 1September Novembre 2021 au plus tard à 23 h 59.
- Les gagnant.e.s seront annoncés lors de la cérémonie de remise des prix qui aura lieu en ligne le 12 Novembre 2021 (date à confirmer).
- All types of videos including live action, animation, claymation, stop-motion, music videos are accepted.
- Rap is the main style of the contest, however, slam poetry, country, singing, or other musical artistic expressions are accepted.
- We encourage the participants to use their creativity and knowledge about climate sciences or their climate story. The general topic direction is – “Climate: Help keep our planet cool: #2degreesMax”
- Entries will be upload on Youtube on the EcoNova’s Channel. A link to upload the video, the lyrics and to accept conditions of the contest will be posted on EcoNova’s website: www.econova.ca econova.ca
- Entries must be between 60 seconds and 120 seconds long.
- Videos must be submitted in MPEG format.
- Videos must not exceed 55MB.
- Videos must minimize background noise while filming.
- Entries that exceed the given time and/or don’t comply with EcoNova’s Contest Rules, YouTube’s Terms of Service and YouTube’s Community Guidelines will be disqualified.
- Entries that contain explicit material, profanity, and nudity will not be accepted. We encourage entries to be bold, scientifically accurate, creative and original.
- Participants may use the provided beats, sound samples, or original sounds to construct their rap.
No copyrighted music, visuals, lyrics, or other media is permitted within the video.
- Participants must provide the lyrics as performed in the video in one of the following formats Doc, page, or PDF).
- We encourage the participants to use their creativity. The general topic direction is – “Help keep our planet cool: 2°C Max”
- Les vidéos gagnantes seront sélectionnées par un jury composé de membres de l’équipe du concours de rap EcoNova ainsi que des ambassadeurs. Les gagnant.e.s seront annoncées lors de l’évènement de remise de prix en ligne.
- Videos will be judged based on whether they demonstrate creativity, originality, scientific-accuracy, technical quality, performance, and overall message.
- Scientific content requirements. Videos and raps need to cover one or more of the following core scientific concepts:
- 1) What is climate?
- 2) Climate is warming, and climate is changing
- 3) It is caused by human activities
- 4) Scientific experts agree
- 5) Climate Change has negative consequences for the world and Canada
- 6) We can fix it
- Although, attending to the learning workshops is not an obligation for participants, we strongly encourage participants to register and attend. The learning workshops will help participants you to create a high-quality video.
- Video submissions are encouraged to share your unique climate story through integrating local observations you have made and how the climate crisis has impacted your life or your views, integrating local solutions, and/or incorporating indigenous knowledge and learnings into your presentation of scientific evidence.
- References to the Paris Climate Accord, the COP26 (United Nations Conference of Parties in Glasgow in 2021), 2050 Canadian “carbon neutrality targets”, and keeping the global temperature increase “well below 2 Celsius degrees” are also encouraged.
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd best videos:
- Les gagnant.e.s de la première meilleure vidéo se verront offrir un enregistrement professionnel et un montage vidéo de leur travail avec nos partenaires et ambassadeurs GMCBeats et Educaption. Ainsi qu’un bon d’achat de $500 pour de l’équipement musical ou type « home recording studio »
- Les 2ème et 3ème meilleurs vidéos se verront également offrir un enregistrement professionnel et une édition en medley (un remix des deux chansons) avec notre partenaire et ambassadeur GMCBeats.
- Other prizes range in value and will be revealed on our website once the contest registration opens
- Special recognitions will be awarded to:
- Most inspiring video (action oriented, emotional, impactful)
- Most creative video production
- Most Passionate Performance
- Most Science-focused video
- By entering the Contest, each entrant releases and holds EcoNova harmless from any and all liability for any injuries, loss or damage of any kind to the entrants or any other person, including personal injury, death, or property damage, resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any prize, participation in the Contest, any breach of the Contest Rules, or in any prize-related activity.
- Each entrant agrees to fully indemnify EcoNova from any and all claims by third parties relating to the Contest, without limitation.
- By submitting a video, each entrant shall retain all right, title and interest, including copyright in and to the video, and shall grant to EcoNova a worldwide, gratuitous, irrevocable, and exclusive licence to copy, use, modify, reproduce, display, adapt and transmit the video for use in all media.
- The entrant hereby confirms that the video is an original work, solely created by the entrant, and that no third party participated as an author, co-author, photographer or otherwise in the creation of the video or any part thereof. EcoNova assume no responsibility for any claims of infringement of rights to copyright, privacy and/or personality, and all such liability shall remain with the entrant. In addition, each entrant represents to EcoNova that the video does not infringe any copyright interest of any third party.
- EcoNova reserve the right to exclude any video on the basis of concerns relating to the rights of third parties, including but not limited to privacy, copyright, defamation, rights of personality, obscenity or hate speech.
Limitation of liability:
- EcoNova décline toute responsabilité en cas de vidéo perdue, rendu tardivement, inintelligible, falsifiée, endommagée, mal acheminée ou incomplète, ou pour tout dysfonctionnement informatique, internet, logiciel, téléphone, matériel ou technique pouvant survenir, y compris, mais sans s’y limiter, les défaillances qui peuvent avoir une incidence sur la transmission ou la non-transmission d’une participation.
- EcoNova assumes no responsibility or liability for lost, late, unintelligible, falsified, damaged, misdirected or incomplete entries, or for any computer, online, software, telephone, hardware or technical malfunctions that may occur, including but not limited to malfunctions that may affect the transmission or non-transmission of an entry.
- EcoNova is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by website users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest or by any technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest.
- EcoNova assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries.
- Entrant assumes liability for injuries caused or claimed to be caused by participating in the Contest, or by the acceptance, possession, use of, or failure to receive any prize.
- EcoNova assume no responsibility or liability in the event that the Contest cannot be conducted as planned for any reason, including those reasons beyond the control of the EcoNova, such as infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or corruption of the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest and/or the Contest Website.
- • By participating in a Contest, each entrant agrees to be bound by the Contest Rules. Entrants further agree to be bound by the decisions of EcoNova, which shall be final and binding in all respects. The Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any entrant found to be: (a) violating the Contest Rules; (b) tampering or attempting to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest, the Contest Website, or any related promotional website; (c) violating the terms of service, conditions of use and/or general rules or guidelines of any EcoNova’s property or service; and/or (d) acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
Termination, Modification and Responsibility:
- EcoNova reserves the right, in their sole discretion, to terminate the Contest, in whole or in part, and/or modify, amend or suspend a Contest, and/or the Contest Rules in any way, at any time, for any reason without prior notice.
- These are the official Contest Rules. The Contests are subject to applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations. The Contest Rules are subject to change without notice in order to comply with any applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws or the policy of any other entity having jurisdiction over the EcoNova and/or the Contests.
Social Media & Press:
- This Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by any social media platforms on which the Contest may have been promoted and/or publicized, including but not limited to Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, and/or Twitter. Any personal information provided in connection with the Contest is being provided to EcoNova and not to YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and/or Twitter. Any questions or comments regarding a Contest must be directed to EcoNova and not to any of the social media platforms on which the Contest may have been advertised.
- By participating in the Contest, each entrant:
- (i) grants to EcoNova the right to use his/her personal information provided when he/she enters the Contest and the video (collectively the “Personal Information”) for the purpose of administering the Contest, including but not limited to contacting and announcing the winners and coordinating the provision of the Contest prize;
- (ii) grants EcoNova the right to use his/her Personal Information for publicity and promotional purposes relating to the Contest in any and all media without further compensation unless prohibited by law; and
- (iii) acknowledges that the EcoNova may disclose his/her Personal Information to third-party agents and service providers of EcoNova in connection with any of the activities listed in (i) and/or (ii) above.
Criteria for Judging:
• Art and impact
• Writing comprehensively
• Creative editing fun and interesting
• Creative input (rap editing as a whole)
• Scientific accuracy on climate science
• Story telling (a call-to-action, highlight solution)
• Performance (rap singing #1)
• Originality (content and in the way it’s performed, watching out for copied rhythm and style)
• Rapping choreography passion expressiveness
• Quality (is it well filmed, cinematography, stable filming, sound quality, mixing)
• Video image
• Sound (left and right ear coherent)
• Length 2 min max
• Not exceed 55 MB (iMovie use it for free and useful tool)